Wednesday, 3 April 2013

little creatures and the basket that wasn't

 Day one of the school holidays - Easter didn't really count, did it? - saw Tom, Sophie and I indulging in a little origami.  I am particularly proud of my samurai helmet (above middle, can't you tell?!) and think a larger version would be de rigueur in the supermarket.  Sophie's simple swan (not that he was really simple, it was the pattern name) and pig have very cute little faces...
Now, these origami baskets are our pride and joy.  Can't you see the skill that went in to these paper folds and the success we had?!  I don't know whether I've said it here before, but I suffer from pattern dyslexia...  I find it very hard to follow instructions.  Especially those consisting of diagrams only...  Sophie was horrified when I held up my flattened piece of paper, saying 'wow, look at my basket, it's lovely!'  I became stumped half way through the process and couldn't work out how to finish.  A bit of humour was required instead.  Tom knew where I was coming from straight away, flattening his own attempt.  Sophie, stuck between a laugh and a tear, eventually chose the former and we all giggled madly, bringing Joe in on the joke when he returned home from work.
Just one more indulgent look at the samurai helmet.  It's sitting on a very sweet napkin ring that was given to me years ago.  You know those things - too precious to use!  It does make a very good helmet holder though, doesn't it?!  More of the same today, who knows?  We may even try those pesky baskets again...  wish us all luck!

4 comments:

  1. Where did the paper come from - could you please send some to me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the origami paper from the Book Depository that you put me on to!!

      Delete
  2. Origami always seems so clever to me. I think the lesson of the basket is to show the children that a sense of humour is needed when something doesn't work out and have the knowledge you can start again. How many times I have had to pull out and redo...crochet has been my latest lesson in humour! Love Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lessons, shmessons!! Boring!! But it was good for them to see, I know...

      Delete