Friday, 5 April 2013

have basket, will travel

For many people around the world, freedom means something really important, such as freedom from oppression, starvation or other terrible afflictions.  So for me, the simple thing of finally having my own car and the freedom that it brings can be put back into perspective very quickly!  At the risk of sounding trite, I am very much enjoying being able to go where I want, when I want, without having to drive Joe to work first so I can have the car.

Getting about would have been more simple if we lived in the city, with public transport on our doorstep, but as we live in the country, our transport options are more limited.  Fortunately we don't live far from the kids' school, but the summer has been so hot, they haven't much appreciated their walks home in the fresh air!  And for me, it's meant missing out on things along the way that I've really wanted to attend.

We've been married for over 11 years and been a single car family for all that time.  So it was with much excitement that we picked up my new car yesterday - well, yes officially it's all of ours, but it's really mine!!  The kids and I packed up the cars with food and drinks and have well and truly given it a run over the past couple of days.  We've notched up a couple of hundred kilometres already!  Admittedly, this is fairly easy considering we do live in the country, but exciting all the same.

Here's a nod to freedom - independence - and let's hope your version of the word is as trite as mine!

6 comments:

  1. Have you kept the plastic wrap on the seats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very, very funny girl! As you can imagine, I'm feeling quite precious! Am checking out car seats covers pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love hate relationship with my car. I love the independence and hate the repair bills (groan). My various cars have taken me on many adventures and a spacious car means that I can fill it with many snacks for the journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Independence is fantastic! And yes, I do agree the repair bills won't be friendly... We're really enjoying having room to spread out, plus fill up the boot and cart things around. A huge change for me and much easier to have my own wheels.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure the plastic seat wrap would be tempting! Such a wonderful thing this freedom...and yes...we are very lucky in this world. The car just makes things so much easier! Love Mra A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not plastic, but maybe no food in the car for a while!

      Delete