Monday, 22 April 2013

gardening: why you shouldn't walk backwards, especially when you're husband is watching

Sunday was huge in our garden.  First, we went to mum's where we dug up extras from her garden - gaura, echeverias, borage, salvia, canna lillies and more - then came home and planted most of them out.  It was hard work and we were hurrying to get as much in at this end before dark.  I was pulling a pot backwards to make room to extend the garden bed when my foot became stuck and I fell, literally flat on my back.  I could feel myself going, pot in hands, looking at the sky whizzing past my eyes.

I let out a - scream, gasp, something - and heard laughter from out the front.  Not a worried cry, wondering if I was okay, no - a great big fit of laughter.  At this stage I was still on the ground, with dirt down my trousers (how did that happen?), neck hurt from near-whiplash impact, a sore hand from where I fell, plus aching back and legs.  And Joe was LAUGHING!  I guess from his end, it could have looked funny.  He said he heard me let out this kind of yelp and then looked over to see my legs waving about in the air.  He didn't realise I'd fallen and said if I saw him in the same position, I would have been laughing too.  Well, probably, but that's entirely beside the point!

For the rest of the night, there were laughs from his end and cries of aches and pains from mine.  Today I'm glad to report there has been a bit more sympathy, if only to set a good example for the kids - you can't laugh when someone hurts themself!

Even if it is your mother, looking like an upended tortoise, legs flailing in the air...

6 comments:

  1. We need a photo of the upended tortoise...oh, that's right it was the photographer upended! I would like to see the photos of where you put everything! Gardens are so interesting when you get bits and pieces from family and friends, it becomes a memory garden of sorts. Love Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks! The memories are good, need more of them.

      Delete
  2. Loss of dignity isn't always the best thing... if ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I'm guilty of a little giggle when my other half has a mishap! I just can't help it. Partly it's a nervous thing and partly I'm just naughty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm guilty of it too! Just not so funny when it happens to you!!

      Delete