Friday, 19 April 2013

gambling with clay soil in the garden

I've had a collection of pots waiting to find a home.  The soil on our block is heavy clay and thought we'd be better off planting into raised beds.  The problem with that, though, is that we just can't afford to bring soil on to the site - there is an endless pile of bills needing to be paid, meaning there's no money in the pot for the garden.  And I can tell you, I am very sick of looking at plants that should be in the ground.  The soil dries out quickly too and a lot of the plants are now too big for their pots, needing to be moved on.
Yesterday I bit the bullet.  Taking note of the poor condition of our potted plants, I thought they couldn't be any worse off in the ground.  This was a bigger job than I planned, as I first had to dig in bricks along the bottom of the fence to keep Minnie from escaping.  The holes weren't as easy to dig as they could have been (due to the clay) and I feel as though I am suffering from digger's knee this morning!  But...  it looks great!  Joe (the real gardener) was amazed and agrees with me that we just have to work on the soil we have, rather than waiting until we can afford something else.

Do you have a gardening project you're holding back on?  Are you ready to bite the bullet too?  And will this gamble pay off?  Will I be looking at a collection of dead plants six months from now?

You will just have to stay tuned and see how they grow!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure everything will be fine! And yes, I have lots of things to share so see you soon! Kate always feels sad she can't swap plants and cuttings with me, NZ and Australian customs wouldn't be too happy. Love Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly ready to come down now! I know what Kate means, the best thing about gardens is the sharing!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure with all your care that they will grow great! So fun to come across your blog, Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Catherine, thanks for the message! Fingers crossed they will grow, I must say everything does look very happy. I'm delighted to have discovered your blog too, through your discovery of mine. Your work is amazing! Cheers Lucy

      Delete