Sunday, 21 April 2013

all pumpkins great and small

Our local farmers' market held a giant pumpkin competition yesterday.  I'd been tempted to enter our biggest pumpkin, but thought its 20cm diameter (quick estimate, I'm being too lazy to go and check properly!) wouldn't quite cut the mustard.  It would have been fun to bring it along, though it would have been quickly dwarfed by the giants on display.  No photos from the day, but the pumpkins were being carted in on forklifts, if that gives you an idea!  Apparently the growers had special seeds.  My pumpkins sprouted from our compost, which I think is pretty special, but not enough to grow giants.  We also didn't plant the seedlings out quickly enough, not even knowing what they were at first.  I'm hoping now that we will have enough warmth for a few of them to ripen and make some deliciously winter warming soup...  Only time will tell!

4 comments:

  1. I bet your pumpkin tasted the best though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably! I don't think they would have tasted very nice...

      Delete
  2. I don't think those huge ones are good to eat! Anyway just imagine how,tired you would be with all the soup you would have to eat...drink! Your pumpkin does look very edible delicious, love Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, even we probably would have grown tired of the soup...

      Delete