Friday 8 March 2013

is there a doctor in the house?

When Tom and Sophie were quite small, I worked as an administration assistant / ward clerk in the local hospital.  They didn't really understand what I did, so they started to think I was a doctor.  We thought it was cute that they awarded me doctor status (without all those pesky years of study!) and left it at that.  I had certainly watched enough medical programs to earn an honorary degree - House, Grey's Anatomy and the like - so I could deal with that.
But then, a couple of years ago, I was in the supermarket and ran in to a nurse who I'd worked with at the hospital.  When introducing her to Tom, I said we'd worked together when I was a doctor.
Melissa was horrified.
'But what if there's an emergency and they need a doctor?  Tom will tell them his mother's a doctor!'
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that!
So between us, Melissa and I explained what I really used to do and Tom kind of understood.  Melissa and I had a good laugh about it, because really, she did think it was very funny, in a horrified kind of way.  And Tom and I?  We still refer to that time as when I was a doctor... It's much more fun than thinking mum just used to do lots of typing on the computer and finding medical files for the real doctors.  

Just don't tell Melissa!

PS Don't you love the adorable doctor Hugo and his ailing patient Sophie?  This was a long time ago, when they were very, very little.  Now, of course, they are much, much bigger - but just as adorable!

2 comments:

  1. I still maintain that I can diagnose my children just as well as a doctor - I just go to him for confirmation and luckily he has a very good sense of humour. I love these photos soooo much. I love their faces. Great to have a chat this morning - I have to say that today seems so much clearer after this afternoon's nap.
    I love you!!!!
    xxxxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's called mother's instinct!! And doctor google helps too! The pics are lovely, aren't they?! Thanks for emailing them - don't know what happened to mine?! I will have to have a proper wade through my own photos and try to sort them out. This is of course, with everything else I have to do... hmmm!

      Delete