Tuesday 26 March 2013

about the house

I've finally had some dahlias make it inside!  Jono's enthusiasm for flowers means they're nipped off - just out of the bud - and find themselves planted in dirt in the garden.  I'm just mad about dahlias, but I find I can't get cross as they're so sweetly and enthusiastically presented to me, prior to replanting.  These lucky dahlias have made it to full size and are joined by mum's Paul Cezanne rose - stunning!
More roses from mum - David Austin this time.  Mum thinks they're the Children's Rose.  I have bravely put them in a vase on the hall table (refer to above!).  I've already found them strewn on the tablecloth, surrounded by petals.  I've returned them to the vase and crossing my fingers that Jono leaves them alone now!
Fresh picked basil waiting to be shredded down into pesto for lunch.  I'm having a friend over for lunch and looking forward to a simple meal of mushrooms with thyme and goats cheese on toast.  I thought the pesto would be nice to have on the side...  delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely photo, the dahlias and the rose look exquisite together. I don't think it is the childrens rose, I have realised it is in the back garden. I've been trying to find out the name but haven't had any luck. I'll ring the rose lady and find out. Love Mrs A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were beautiful, weren't they?! Making me itch to get some garden beds started now that cool weather is coming... happy easter maybe?!

      Delete
  2. how lovely. The home of David Austin roses is very near me - 6miles or so. It's a small world...well, not really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I would almost live there if I could - must be a beautiful place to visit..!

      Delete
    2. David Austin is lovely when all the roses are in bloom but slightly disappointing as they only sell David Austin roses and the setting is that of a modern commercial garden centre. There is another place nearby called Country Garden Roses (countrygardenroses.co.uk) - it is just breathtaking and they do David Austin and so many others besides. It also has the most amazing countryside setting alongside an old black and white timber framed building (and lovely tea shop. The website doesn't do it justice but o my o my...it is a feast for the eyes and the nose!

      Delete
    3. Argh, that must be disappointing! The other rose place sounds terrific though. I am mad about beautiful gardens, especially in the country. Will have a look at the website just to get a taster, thanks!

      Delete