Monday, 19 November 2012

of wooden floors and things

The weekends have been more of a comma than a full stop lately, as the days gallop towards the end of the year.  We've been working on our rental, pulling up carpets, sanding floors, punching down nails and covering the holes with putty.  Sometime after 7pm last night I put down the third coat of varnish on the wooden floor in the living room.

Joe and I never set out to own a rental property.  We bought this house to be our first home, but at the time we couldn't move in due to his work commitments.  Instead, we rented it out through an agency, hoping to move in at some stage.  In the meantime, we found a larger block of land and decided to build...  the fruits of which we should be enjoying sometime this side of Christmas.
Now, we're gearing up to put the house on the market, or re-let if it doesn't sell.  We fell in love with the outside straight away - a charming Californian bungalow, circa 1920s.  The inside, however, was in need of some dire TLC.  We've rewired, replaced weatherboards, straightened up the old shed which rivalled Pisa, stripped dodgy wallpaper and started to repaint.
 The hallway needs another coat of varnish on the floor and the walls to be painted white.  These beautiful baltic pine floorboards were lurking under the grotty carpet featured above.  Joe, the kids and I ripped up the carpet as a team - even Jono joined in!  I'm sure the dust is still in our lungs, but we had such a fun time doing it and the kids loved being involved.
 On Saturday afternoon, nana and Pa looked after the kids while we worked away.  Joe tackled the lawns, whipper-snippered and cleaned the dining room ceiling, ready for painting.  I kept working on the floors and acquainted myself with the nail punch.  I am pleased to report I still have two hands and 10 fingers and, as is now evident, am far more coordinated than any of use ever suspected!
 This is after the second coat of varnish in the living room.  What a difference it made even just doing something as simple as taking down an ugly net curtain?  We have a friend working there today putting down beading to hide the gap between the skirting boards and where the carpet was pulled up.  We still have a long way to go, but now we're starting to see it come together we are delighted with the results.
And whilst I may feel slightly creatively stifled, I look at these pictures and remind myself that I am being creative - it's just on a different and larger scale than usual!

8 comments:

  1. It is soooooo creative - the difference is astonishing.
    xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    Your sister "sent" me here!!! I have to thank her!!! Great job! I love even the matryoshka cake and the coordinated party favors, too!!!
    have a lovely day, xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Alessandra

      Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm glad you enjoyed Soph's cake and dolls - hopefully next year I will be able to muster up the same amount of energy, after this year off!

      Cheers

      Lucy

      Delete
  3. love the renovations, it's amazing the difference you can make with paint, looks great. i love the matryoshka cake too, what a fantastic job you did! look forward to seeing more of your reno's.

    kirsty


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty

      Thank you so much! I look forward to sharing more of the renos with you - if only we had a few more hours in the day!

      Cheers

      Lucy

      Delete